From: jemitchell@c...
Date: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:35am
Subject: Re: Re: Identifying Pistons

Brian Elkins wrote:

> Looking down on the top of
> the piston there is a ring around the outside approximately
1/8" wide,
> from there it "steps up" about 1/16". After the step there is
> slight flat portion on one side and a slightly wider flat
portion on
> the other side, after the flat portions there is a very slight
bevel.
> After the slight bevel is the flat portion of the piston which
takes
> up approximately 50-60% of the piston top.

You have the correct pistons.

> Unfortunately the liners show some signs of scoring. The
scoring does
> not appear to be any deeper than what you might expect from
normal
> honing (you can feel it with a fingernail)

The first step, then, would be to hone one liner until the
scoring is cleaned up, then measure its bore diameter. The
increase in diameter, added to the inevitable wear on the
pistons, will possibly make replacement pistons necessary, but
that's not a given. If the clearance is within tolerance, but
towards the high end of the range, one trick I have used in the
past that works extremely well is to have the piston skirts
microknurled, then dress them with a file until they are a slip
fit in the liners. This has the advantages of minimizing piston
rocking and retaining oil around the skirts, while keeping
sliding firction to a minimum. I would only do this if everything
is in good condition, but with slightly high piston-bore
clearances.

> Two of the piston tops
> show some pretty severe dings where the hardware "danced"
around for a
> little bit.

They may still be OK. The way to verify this is teardown,
inspection, and measurement.

> I emailed Ray and he said he no longer had the parts available.
His
> recommendation was French Stuff in California (I haven't
contacted
> them yet). I contacted Tingles and he quoted me a price of
$960
> (piston/liner/ring/pin) but I've been told that sounds on the
high
> side.

When Ray could still get replacements a bit more than two years
ago, his price for a complete liner/piston/ring/pin kit was
$810.00. If Don is sourcing the same parts, it's not surprising
that the price would have risen by that amount. I wouldn't
consider going that route, as the exorbitant price isn't buying
you anything you can't improve on for substantially less money.

> Lee (the other Utah Euopa owner) told me about a place
> (www.mecaparts.com in France) that has replacement Renault
parts and
> the kit was approximately $400 US (I imagine these are the
Renault
> pistons and not the Lotus pistons, it would be great if I was
wrong
> though!).

Renault sources _cannot_ supply Lotus pistons. Don't even bother,
you just won't find them that way.

> I also contacted JAE and I was told they have forged
> oversize pistons and rings for fitting to a bored liner at a
cost of
> approximately $550.

Sounds like the Wisecos. That's not too bad a price.

> The machine shop owner told me he can get all the necessary
parts but
> I'm not sure if he would be getting Renault or Lotus parts.

Don't leave it to him to source the pistons. Sounds like JAE is
your best bet. Ask them how much the pistons weigh - the used OEM
ones John Abbott loaned me for patterns weighed 414-416 grams
each, the Bretille replacement (the ones that r d sold) weighed
448 grams, and the .020" over pistons I had Wiseco make weighed
417 grams. I understand that Wiseco requires a minimum purchase
of two sets now. If you can get another lister to go in with you,
you could buy direct from them and save yourself $100.00 or so.

Another issue: the groove for the oil control ring on the OEM
pistons is a weak spot. The tops have been known to break off in
that area. I would not expect similar problems from aftermarket
pistons.

Jay